Subject Leader: Natalie Turner
Link Governor: Chris Teasdale
“All children become resilient, fluent mathematicians with an ability to tackle problem solving.”
Here at Beaver Road Primary School, children are encouraged to enjoy Mathematics and become enthusiastic and curious Mathematicians by developing their skills, knowledge and understanding through practical experiences which have relevance and purpose in everyday situations. It is important that children develop the skills of Mathematics to become lifelong learners. They should be able to apply these skills in different situations across our creative curriculum and in daily living outside school.
Since 2014, the National Centre of Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCTEM) and National Maths Hubs have been working together to develop approaches to teaching for mastery within Primary mathematics. We are excited to announce that our Maths lead, Natalie Turner, has been appointed as a Mastery Specialist for the North West One Maths Hub and is now a Local Leader of Mathematics Education (LLME). Natalie will have the opportunity to work closely with the NCTEM team and national and local communities of Mastery Specialists. It is expected that Beaver Road will become a leading exponent of teaching for mastery and will continue to develop and embed teaching for mastery approaches as well as lead Work Groups to develop, embed and sustain teaching for mastery in other schools in the North West One Maths Hub.
Our key principles:
• All children can learn to do Maths.
• Fluency, Reasoning and problem solving are embedded within each of our units across all year groups.
• Children are supported in their understanding through the use of the concrete, pictorial and abstract approach.
First class teaching is evident in:
• The belief that all pupils can achieve.
• Keeping the class working together so that all can access and master Mathematics.
• Development of deep mathematical understanding.
• Development of both factual/procedural and conceptual fluency.
• Longer time on key topics, providing time to go deeper and embed learning.
• Rapid support to intervene when misconceptions and gaps in understanding are identified.
• Questioning targeted to reflect the year-group expectations.
• Models and images to demonstrate understanding.
• Talk for learning and rich tasks to support independent work.
• Feedback and marking to support the learning of different ability groups in a class.
During lessons, children will be expected to:
Explain their methods
Use precise and correct vocabulary
Prove their answers
Recall key number facts
See the Maths in different contexts
We value parental involvement in consolidating the learning in this subject area for your child and it is important to us as a school that this year, we can also engage you- as parents and carers- to join us on the Mathematics learning journey. Please keep an eye on the 'events' sub- page throughout the year. You can also scroll down to the other sub- pages to find out more about this amazing subject here at Beaver Road Primary School.
Please forward any queries to our Maths lead: Natalie Turner (Head of Year 6).
We are here to support you at any time.
“Thinking is at the heart of Mathematics and therefore should be at the heart of mathematical teaching and learning.”
PRIMARY VIDEO LESSONS
Developed for use during school closures, these videos are useful for Covid recovery and can support you to support your child: